Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya one museum, 1000 years of art
History of the museum
In 1990 the Catalan Museums Law reunited the collections of the old Museu d'Art de Catalunya (Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque art collections) and the Museu d'Art Modern (19th-and 20th-century art collections) under one roof, and declared it a national museum, incorporating the Department of Drawings and Prints, the Gabinet Numismātic de Catalunya (coinage and medals) and the Biblioteca d'Histōria de l'Art (General Library of Art History) into the new museum structure. Later in 1996, the Department of Photography was created and this artistic discipline was included in the museum project.

The roots of the Museum have to be sought in the tasks of recovery and conservation of the patrimony which, in Catalonia, began in the second half of the nineteenth century and culminated in 1934 with the opening of the Museu d'Art de Catalunya, installed in the Palau Nacional on Montjuīc.

Let us revise together some of the most representative landmarks in this long story, also the reflection of Catalonia's history:
  • March 15th 1880
  • Opening of the Museu d'Antiguitats de Barcelona in Saint Agatha's Chapel, with works made available after the Disentailment of ecclesiastical property in 1835.
  • January 18th 1891
  • Opening of the Museu Municipal de Belles Arts in the Palau de Belles Arts.
  • November 7th 1915
  • Opening of the Museu d'Art i Arqueologia in the Ciutadella Arsenal.
  • November 11th 1934
  • Opening of the Museu d'Art de Catalunya in the Palau Nacional, with the complete discourse of Catalan art.
  • Octubre-desembre de 1936
  • Due to the Civil War, the works were moved to Olot, Darnius and Paris.
  • August 1940-June 12th 1942
  • Reopening of the Museu d'Art de Catalunya's collections from the Romanesque to the Baroque in the Palau Nacional.
  • June 5th 1945
  • Opening of the Museu d'Art Modern with the nineteenth- and twentieth-century art collections in the Ciutadella Arsenal.
  • November 2nd 1990
  • Passing of the Law 17/1990 of Museums, of November 2nd (DOGC no. 1367, 14.11.90), by which the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya was created.
  • December 15th 1995
  • Opening of the Romanesque Art Section and reopening of the Museum.
  • July 18th 1997
  • Opening of the Gothic Art Section.
  • February 2000
  • Start of the third stage of the renovation work: the installation in the Palau Nacional of the Renaissance and Baroque collections, those of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the Gabinet Numismātic de Catalunya, the Department of Drawings and Prints and the Biblioteca d'Histōria de l'Art (currently at Carrer Comerį, 36).
  • June 12th 2001
  • Agreement of the Generalitat de Catalunya (DOGC no. 3423, 4.7.2001) by which the current statutes of the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya were approved.
  • 22nd February 2005
  • Agreement by the Government of the Generalitat de Catalunya (DOGC No 4362, 13.4.2005) modifying the statutes of the MNAC to officialise the inclusion of the General State Administration in the Museum's governing bodies.
  • 14th March 2006
  • Agreement by the Government of the Generalitat de Catalunya (DOGC No 4625, 3.5.2006) approving the current statutes of the MNAC.
Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya    Palau Nacional. Parc de Montjuīc 08038 Barcelona     © MNAC, 2010 Legal warning
Amics del MNAC